AIM OF COURSE
This course focuses on the study of the physical, social, intellectual and emotional development of young children from conception to the age of five years. It encourages knowledge and understanding of pregnancy, the needs of young children, the roles and responsibilities of parents, and the social and environmental influences affecting family life.
OUTLINE OF COURSE
Unit 1: Parenthood, Pregnancy and Childbirth 1hr written exam 20%
In this unit you will study topics such as parenthood and responsibilities, pregnancy, healthy diet during pregnancy and birth
Unit 2: Child Development (0-5yrs) 1hr written exam 20%
In this unit you will study topics such as the new born baby,
- the physical development of the child up to five years old,
- the intellectual development of the child up to five years old
- the social and emotional development of the child up to five years old
- childcare provision
- sources of support
- safety, first aid and childhood diseases
- choosing clothes and shoes for young children
- weaning and dietary needs of the child
Unit 3: Controlled Assessment Task Project 40%
Unit 4: Controlled Assessment Short Task Assignment 20%
This GCSE has been designed to provide a broad educational basis for either further training, further education or for moving into employment mainly within the Child care sector.
Post 16 pathways include ‘A’ level Home Economics, Psychology, Sociology and Advanced Health and Social Care.